April 2, 2012
Becky Tweedy, Assistant to the President
Spring & Summer Berry Season is fast approaching – Don’t let berries spoil & go to waste because you can’t eat them fast enough! Try this tip for storing fresh berries:
- Mix a solution of 1 part vinegar & 10 parts water (use white or cider vinegar)
- Pour berries into solution & swirl
- Drain well; rinse if desired, but not necessary (dilution is so weak, you will not taste the vinegar)
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Raspberries will keep for 1 week, strawberries and blueberries up to 2 weeks since the vinegar kills surface mold, spores & bacteria!