1 medium red onion, sliced into thin ½” rings
½ cup red wine vinegar
8 c salad mix (that includes radicchio & curly endive)
½ c lightly packed fresh basil leaves
½ lightly packed fresh Italian parsley leaves
½ c pine nuts, toasted (divided)
3 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
3 oz parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shaved with veggie peeler into thin curls
3 oz thinly sliced prosciutto di parma, cut into bite-sized squares
1. Soak onions in the red wine vinegar for several hours, drain.
2. Wash & dry lettuces, tear into bite-sized pieces.
3. In a large bowl, mix greens, basil & parsley, ¼ c pine nuts, most of scallions & half of parmesan & prosciutto.
4. Right before serving, toss salad with warm balsamic dressing (September’s recipe).
5. Transfer salad to deep platter, scatter top with red onions & remaining parmesan, prosciutto & scallions.