Warm up to this month's featured recipe!
1 1/4 cup - dried black-eyed peas (or 6 cups canned)
5 - bacon slices or turkey bacon 1 - medium onion
2 - celery ribs
1/4 tsp - cayenne
1/2 tsp - curry powder
1/2 tsp - ground cumin
1/4 tsp - dried hot red pepper flakes
6 cups - chicken or veggie broth
3 T - chopped fresh cilantro
1. If using dried black-eyed peas, soak them in hot water for 30-40 minutes. Drain peas well. If using canned beans, drain and rinse them well.
2. Coarsely chop bacon; finely chop onion & celery.
3. In 5 qt. kettle, cook bacon over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
4. Add onion, celery, spices; cook & stir 5 minutes.
5. Add peas and broth; simmer, uncovered, until peas are tender, about 20 minutes for canned, closer to 45 minutes for dried peas.
6. Season soup with salt & pepper.
7. In a blender puree 2 cups soup until smooth.
8. Stir puree and cilantro into soup remaining in kettle.