2 T — olive oil or butter
1/2 — cup fresh onion, chopped
6 — cups fresh mushrooms (mix of types), sliced
1 1/2 tsp — dried parsley
1 — bay leaf
1/4 tsp — dried thyme (or 1 tsp fresh)
1/2 tsp — pepper
1/4 cup — sherry
1/2 tsp — fresh lemon juice
1 qt — chicken broth, or vegetable broth
1 cup — whipping cream, or evaporated milk
- Heat oil in a large stockpot.
- Add onion & mushrooms, saute? until vegetables are tender (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add seasonings, saute?, stirring frequently, 8 minutes.
- Add sherry, lemon juice & broth. Stir well, including scraping bottom of pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; simmer 20-25 minutes.
- To thicken, puree 2 cups soup in blender until smooth.
- Stir puree back into rest of soup in pot.
- Finish with cream / milk. Bring back to 1800F. Serve hot.
*Note: Substituting evaporated milk will reduce the calories by 20% and fat by 50%.